DBS MARINA REGATTA 2014
Singapore’s biggest water sports festival, the DBS Marina Regatta 2014 returns to Marina Bay on 17-18 May and brings Asia alive! The weekend promises to be engaging and visually spectacular as dragon boat teams from the region race to the finish line.
DBS is also launching Asia’s first dragon boating mobile game called Dragon Tap which allows everyone to virtually experience dragon boating and win attractive prizes. Members of the public can also capture their cherished moments via selfies and share them. For every selfie hashtagged #dbsmarinaregatta, DBS will provide a free meal to a primary school student supported by the Student Advisory Centre.
Members of the public will also have the opportunity to experience the prestigious Asia Cosplay Meet, where fans of animation, comics and games dress up like their favourite characters. Expect great photo opportunities as the Cosplayers from the region interact with the public.
Feel the rhythms of the bay by cheering on the contestants at this year’s Asian Drum Challenge, a must-go event for all percussionists and drummers. There is both an open category and school category to cater to the interests of everyone.
Enjoy the best of Asian cuisine at the Asian Food Festival. The Bay will be filled with the aromas and flavours of Asia with perennial favourites from the region.
End the day by enjoying a movie under the stars with family and friends on 17 May. As part of the DBS Movies by the Bay, the public can wind down and enjoy the open air cinematic experience, complete with popcorn, drinks and snacks after an exciting day at the Marina Regatta.
Two days of adrenaline-filled races and fun will culminate in a grand showcase on 18 May, when the entire Bay will burst forth in a kaleidoscope of colours representative of Asia. The spectacle includes fireworks and the first ever public display of LED dragon kites.
How to get to event site:
Bus Stop at One Raffles Quay - Bus Service: 10, 10E, 57, 70, 75, 100, 107, 128, 130, 131, 162, 167, 186, 196, 196E, 700, 970, NR1, NR6
Bus Stop at Marina Boulevard – Bus Service: 97, 97E
Bayfront (CE1), Exit E (8 minutes walk)
Raffles Place (NS2, EW14), Exit F (5 minutes walk)
- By Car: Parking may be found at these following locations:
Marina Bay City Gallery
Marina Bay Financial Centre
Marina Bay Link Mall
One Raffles Quay
Dragon Boat Races:
- More than 140 teams are participating this year with 22 teams making their debut at DBS Marina Regatta 2014
- More than 2,000 athletes
- Ten international teams will be racing including five national teams from Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore, The Philippines, Thailand
- 18 percussion groups are competing
- 2 categories (schools and open) with total cash prizes of SGD18,000
- Finals on 17 May (open category) and 18 May (school category)
Asia Cosplay Meet:
- Cosplay is an activity where fans of animation, comics and games dress up like characters from these works. The DBS Marina Regatta provides a platform for Singapore’s close-knit community of at least 1,000 active cosplayers to come together.
- The Asia Cosplay Meet this year welcomes nine national Cosplay teams from China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.
- The public can get up close and personal with Cosplayers to find out more about their passion and take memorable photographs.
Asian Food Festival:
- Featuring an array of cuisines in east-meets-west menus and live stations to watch chefs at
- Social enterprises will be providing delicious food for a good cause – Bettr Barista (gourmet coffee), Bakery hearts (cookies and cakes), 8 Fahrenheit (handmade ice cream), Laksania (laksa and finger food)
DBS Movies by the Bay:
- Movie buffs can look forward to the sixth instalment of the popular DBS Movies by the Bay on the evenings of 16th and 17th May.
- DBS Movies by the Bay is a free monthly cinematic experience; where friends and family gather for an outdoor movie treat, complete with popcorn, drinks and snacks brought to you by social enterprises.
DBS Cycle by the Bay:
- Visitors can sign up for a free 30-minute guided tour on eco-friendly bamboo bicycles from social enterprise Bamboobee.
- The 6 km cycling route will start from the Promontory and loop around the Marina Bay with several stops for photo opportunities.
‘Selfies for good’:
- The public is encouraged to take photos of themselves having fun at the DBS Marina Regatta 2014, hashtag them #dbsmarinaregatta and share it online (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- With every selfie shared online, DBS will donate a free meal to a primary school student supported by the Student Advisory Centre
- Stand a chance to win S$300 worth of shopping vouchers if your selfie is selected as 1) Most creative; 2) Best "Asia Alive!" shot; or 3) Most number of people in a selfie.
- Asia’s first ever dragon boating mobile app game
- Players can compete as a team of four and each member of the top three teams with the highest scores will win Samsung Tabs (top prize), Pebble Watches (second prize) and Fitbit watches (third prize). Winners will also be invited to the DBS Marina Regatta hospitality tent to enjoy the festivities in style.
- The game is available for free on WePlay on SingTel, Google Play Stores, and the Apple App Store
- The contest will run from 16 April to 18 May.