And we're back! Join host Ben Logan Sng, Singapore Sport Institute Master Chef Parim Siva, and guest MC & Choreographer Sharina Bynes as we whip up 3 delectable dishes for you today.
1. Chicken Briyani
3. Mango Lassi Muffin
Find out how you can still indulge in your favourite food but keep healthy at the same time in our cooking shows and nutrition series!
Try out some of these recipes yourself while you are at home this period, and cook up a healthy feast for your loved ones. Enjoy the programme!
Unsure of what you can do during #CircuitBreaker? From fitness to wellness, skills and knowledge based activities, we've got you covered! Visit this link: https://bit.ly/3cqyp4y
More virtual classes are also available on ActiveSG Circle! : https://bit.ly/fb-activesg-circle-virtual-classes
Chicken Briyani (serves ~4)
500g chicken, chopped small pieces
1 ginger (5cm length), grated
4 garlic cloves, grated
4 mint stalks, use leaves, stalk removed
2 tomato, sliced thin
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon salt
Briyani spices for chicken
1 cinnamon (4cm length)
1 dried bay leaf
Other ingredients for chicken
3 Big Onions, sliced thin
1 cup water
4-5 tablespoon oil
10 pieces almond
o Almond paste: soaked in hot water, skin removed
o Grated, add 1 tsp water
Salt to taste
250g Basmati Rice
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups water
Whole spices for Rice
1 teaspoon saffron (optional), soaked in 3/4 tablespoon hot water
1 handful cashew, halved
1 teaspoon oil
1. Marinade chicken for 30 mins, preferably overnight.
2. In medium pan, heat oil till hot. Add briyani spices, fry till fragrant. Add chopped onion and fry till it turns light brown.
3. Add marinated chicken and cook for 5 mins. Add water and cover the pan. Stir mixture occasionally till it thickens. Add almond paste.
4. Add salt if needed.
Briyani Rice Preparation
1. In a frying pan, add oil and toast the cashews till lightly golden brown. Set aside.
2. In large pan, heat oil and butter till hot. Add whole spices for rice fry till fragrant. Add chopped onion and fry till turns light brown.
3. Add rice and fry for 1 min. Add water and salt, stir it well. Cover till cooked.
4. When cooked, lower heat and drizzle saffron all over rice. Stir the rice to mix.
5. Make a well in the pan and transfer chicken preparation. Cover it up with rice.
6. Top it up with toasted cashews. Close the lid and let chicken briyani to cook for 1-2 minutes till steam appears.
7. Serve with your favourite raita.
Beetroot Cucumber Raita (Indian Salad) (serves ~4)
1 cup Greek yogurt
1 medium Beetroot, chopped
½ Cucumber, chopped
1 small Onion, chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon Coriander leaves, chopped
½ teaspoon Garam masala, optional
1. In a medium bowl, add yogurt, salt and garam masala. Mix well.
2. Add cucumber, onion and coriander in the mix. Stir well.
3. Add in beetroot last and stir in.
4. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Mango Lassi Muffin (serves ~18)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 ½ cup plain whole milk yogurt
1 ½ cup fresh ripped mango, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Place muffin case on muffin tray and sides of case.
2. In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and cardamom powder. Blend well.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk sugar. eggs, oil, yogurt, oil, lemon and lemon juice until well blended.
4. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir flour mixture and fold in until blended well.
5. Gently fold in mangos in to mixture. Divide batter equally among prepared muffin.
6. Bake 18-21 minutes or until top are golden or center of muffin come out clean on toothpick.
7. Garnish with Greek yogurt and mint.