Dads are often running around and engaging in activities with their children. In honour of Father’s Day, here are five quick tips on how all dads can kick start some healthy habits and be sure to have sufficient vitamins, minerals and energy every day!
1. Eat Healthy – Dark green leafy vegetables are an excellent source of calcium to help strengthen bones. They are low in calories and rich in antioxidants that minimises effects of free radicals. Other great food sources are fish like salmon or sardines, and dried nuts!
2. Drink Your Milk! – Low fat/skim milk are great sources of calcium. The average adult male should have an intake of 800 to 1,000mg of calcium daily.
3. Increase your Vitamin D intake – Calcium absorbs better with sufficient amounts of Vitamin D in our body. Vitamin D is produced by our body when we are under direct sunlight. Try a Vitamin D supplement to increase calcium absorption.
4. Get enough sleep – Aim for seven to nine hours per night, this can be a drastic difference to your functionality, attitude, energy levels and overall health.
5. Get regular exercise – Staying active helps prevent further bone loss and may even help you increase your bone density as you age. Try walking, running, weight-lifting or tennis.
Happy Fathers’ Day!